The Colour of Silence

Photography, poetry of all kinds, short short stories,and my new interest - photo-haiga (combining my photos with haiku,senryu and tanka) ~ all these interests of mine - plus my wife Jill's paintings - will feature here from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Geoff Sanderson was born in 1930 in Yorkshire, North of England. Following school he did a five-year engineering apprenticeship, during which time he took up bicycle touring and racing. It was during long-distance touring in the hill country that he acquired his love of the outdoors. Geoff changed career in 1951 when he joined the Royal Air Force as a Physical Training Instructor, was awarded a commission in 1963, and retired as a Flight Lieutenant admin officer in 1985. During these 34 adventurous years, Geoff married Jill in 1958, sailed and raced dinghies in Zimbabwe, Egypt and Singapore, and took up the sport of fencing. He became a qualified fencing instructor and official, was appointed RAF Team Captain, and was eventually awarded RAF and Combined Services Colours. Following retirement, Geoff ran the admin for Jill’s design/dressmaking business, and also worked helping a friend run an antiques business. Geoff and Jill have lived in North Yorkshire for almost 20 years now, within easy travelling distance of five National Parks, so spend much of their leisure time in hill-walking, photography, writing poetry, and painting.

Monday, August 08, 2005


The Colour of Silence
I took the title of my blog from that of one of my poems. One day I overheard that haunting old Simon & Garfunkel number 'The Sound of Silence', and it set me thinking; if silence could have a 'sound', then perhaps it could have a 'colour'? The idea rumbled on in that strange back-room of the brain where we would-be poets are apt to store all kinds of lumber - fragments of lines, good rhymes and phrases, half-formed plans for future work. I gradually came to 'see' the poem as a conversation between two people, one of whom was rather feverishly re-telling a strange story to the other. I can often work out some of the origins of my poems, where the influences came from, but I've no idea about this one - apart from my deliberate punning quotation from W Shakespeare and TS Eliot in a couple of lines. Enough rambling on - here's the poem:


Have I told you about the day I met her?

Not for a long time,
but I’m sure you’re going to tell me again.
You must be feeling better!

It was a day in late October
when the skies were full of rain,
and I hurried over the moor
looking for shelter.

Late October? Are you sure?
The last time you told it,
it was mid-September.

You never pay attention - and don’t interrupt.
That girl, and those eyes! Do you think
I wouldn’t remember?

I remember ‘Those are pearls that were his thighs
And nothing doth remain ...’

... I sometimes think you’ll drive me insane.
... I heard a sweet sound
drifting, drifting on the breeze ...

... and then you saw, below you
in a belt of trees ...

... a small hut, with such a curious door.
As I drew near, I could see that it was
woven like a wattle fence.

Here, let me prop you up a little -
I don’t like that rattle in your throat.

They had left the door ajar
and inside, someone was lazily playing
a twelve-string guitar, slowly fingering,
lingering over each note.

You shouldn’t keep tormenting yourself.
Stop this, it doesn’t make any sense!

I pushed open the door,
and saw her sitting there,
with the dead child on the floor;

That girl with the pale, pale face
that girl with the blueberry hair,
and eyes the colour of silence.
*******************************
(header image: Lake Shallows ~ Chuzenji-ko ~ Japan)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pris said...

This one makes me think of a song, in and of itself, with the two people chorusing to each other. I like!

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home